Naval Museum is under the control of Turkish Naval Forces. In 1897, Naval Museum was established under the name of “The Museum and Library Administration Office” in a small building in the Imperial Dockyard. The museum served in various buildings throughout its life. Finally, in 1961, the Museum was moved to a building in Besiktas (which previously served as the Treasury) and began to operate here under the name of “The Naval Museum and Archive Directorate”. The historical boats collection, consisting of the galley and the imperial caiques, was transferred to this building; and this collection was opened to public as “The Gallery of Historical Caiques” in 1971.
A national architectural design competition was organized on 14 August 2005. In 2008, the award-winning architectural design was chosen to be built as the new museum building. The new museum began welcoming visitors on 4 October 2013.
Naval Museum consists of five departments: Museum, Naval History Archive, Communication Department, Supply Department and Security-Service Department.
There are many collections at Naval Museum. These are: Items belonging to Mustafa Kemal Ataturk, historic boats, wood and metal pieces, textiles, paper pieces, stone works, and plastic art works.
The museum’s mission is to conduct scientific researches about objects and documents of Turkish naval history that are inherited from the past to the present with cooperation of museum and university, bring out their historical qualities, publish the scientific results, and display and preserve these values consistent with scientific mentality of museology that will transfer them to the next generation.
Naval Museum can be reached by IETT busses, ferries and minibusses.
Sinan Pasa District Besiktas Street No:6/1 Besiktas – European side of Istanbul
+ 90 212 327 43 45